(RED) Beet Carpaccio
EAT (RED) DRINK (RED) SAVE LIVES is a month-long, worldwide campaign uniting the culinary world to turn up the heat on the AIDS fight and raise a lot of dough to #86AIDS. Of course a (RED) themed summer party ensued and FreshDirect (one of the participating organizations) proved to be the perfect source for the freshest and reddest ingredients.
We’ve already schooled you on how to make our Strawberry Sangria and refreshing Watermelon Salad, but this time we’re going to fire up the oven for “Beet Carpaccio.” You read that right: beet not beef. WAY healthier and more eco-friendly, but still a great source of iron, not to mention delicious and satisfying.
6 Small or 3 Large Beets – whatever color combo you want – we went with (RED) obviously
Fresh Thyme Sprigs
1. Heat oven to 350° F.
2. Wash and scrub your beets.
3. Place them in an oven safe baking dish/pan, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, place thyme sprigs all around the pan and cover the whole situation with foil.
4. Bake the beets in the oven for about an hour, then test them with a knife – you’ll know 😉
5. Let the beets cool with the foil still covering the pan as this will make slipping them out of their skins easier.
6. While the beets are cooling, remove a handful of pistachios from their shells and smash them under the flat side of a chef’s knife with the bottom of your fist (funsies!), then use the sharp side of the knife to chop some of them into even smaller bits.
7. Once the beets have cooled and you’ve removed the skins, slice them as thinly and evenly as possible and arrange them attractively to slightly overlap each other.
8. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, crumbled feta cheese, the leaves from the thyme sprigs that were in the oven and the crushed pistachios.
9. Munch to your heart’s content!
Original Photography by Sasha Landskov.